23.8.11

Recap: Day #1

Well, Day one was not quite as productive as I would have liked. I did, however, complete all things on my to-do list. Except find a baby doctor...well, I found one, but I didn't make an appointment, so I'm slacking.

First I went to pre-natal yoga. Thanks to a glitch on the website, I arrived 55 minutes early believing I was 5 minutes late.  Needless to say, I had some time to kill. SOOOO, I read. It wasn't a complete bust. Pre-natal yoga, however, was a different story. Maybe I should have read the signs in their name: BlossomBirth, but I was sorely disappointed to go to yoga anticipating a sweaty workout that was also safe for baby and find it was a bunch of lonely pregnant women holding hands and shedding tears over baby. Okay, maybe it wasn't quite that bad, but after doing yoga in Costa Rica with my sister-in-law who is a hardcore instructor, I was more than a little let-down. Will I be returning? NO THANKS.

At least the next few hours had much more to offer. I got ready, rearranged a few loose papers, and then headed off to the library! I got a library card without even showing my proof of address (apparently the people at the desk don't like to wait for you to pull up a bank statement on your phone), and checked out 8 books:



The Book Thief
The Secret Garden
The Awakening and The Struggle
Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit
Sapphique
Burned
Marked
The Fury and Dark Reunion






All but one two (almost forgot The Secret Garden!) of these books were found in the "Teen" section, which should attest to their credibility as real literature.

Then I did some other things (so important I've forgotten them) and went to Williams-Sonoma to purchase a wok.  If this Williams-Sonoma had been like other Williams-Sonomas I have entered, I would have been in and out in 20 minutes flat.  This Williams-Sonoma, however, was a DREAM COME TRUE.  There were demonstration counters all over the place, everything you could find online and never in stores, and it was beautiful.  I got lost for at least 45 minutes before remembering that I had come for a purpose.  I accosted a sales associate who happened to be an older man into helping me get a wok, and he knew so much about cooking and cookware I was enthralled. Needless to say, I will be returning to that Williams-Sonoma many times over--even if it is just to wander and wish... I did end up buying this beauty:

Then I made a mediocre stir-fry for boyf before I went to pick him up from the train. He kept telling me how good it was and even though I knew it wasn't awful, it was quite bland. I kept pestering him until he admitted that it was fairly bland, he just liked my cooking and didn't want to deter me from doing so. I felt much better after that--it gave me confidence that he would tell me the truth and perhaps liked all of those other things I tried previously.

Out of the ordinary: I felt pressure to be a "good wife".  I don't even know what being one means, but I felt like the fact that I didn't fold up the clean laundry because I didn't feel like it would have boyf come home wondering what I had accomplished all day. I'll keep you posted on whether or not the pressure subsides.

2 comments:

Josie said...

a. i love the teen section for books. im thinking when baby gets a little bigger, we are going to hit that up at barnes and noble or something
b. good thing you have a new recreational activity, wishing and wandering.
c. waking up in the morning is a huge accomplishment. i have a MOUND of laundry on my bed right now. i will post a picture to show you.

Josie said...

p.s. my word verification to post the previous comment was "thuggyr" totally appropriate.